Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm a bit new at this Mac thing, so I was hoping you could give me a hand.

I've been using the LAME codec for iTunes to do my ripping and I've been using an external HD for storing the MP3s. The default directory is EXTERNAL HD/MP3.

Normally it works great. Sounds fine right? Not quite. Here's where the problem comes in.

At one point, I started ripping a CD without my External HD plugged in. So iTunes / LAME went and created this odd ghost folder tree called EXTERNAL/MP3 which can only be seen by iTunes, Torq (my DJing program which has iTunes integration), and XNJB (my PC-compatible MP3 player workaround program). In the "choose default iTunes folder" screen, this EXTERNAL/MP3 folder tree appears alongside my Network, HD, and EXTERNAL HD icons.

However, this folder tree doesn't appear in the finder!!! So I can't move, control, or address these freaking files! I like keeping my folders very clean cut, so this is very irritating.

How can I get rid of these folders and files and make sure this doesn't happen again? Any advice will be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.