iTunes and Hard Drive Cleanup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doslobos, Nov 21, 2007.

1. doslobos macrumors newbie

So here is my situation: I have gone to quite a bit of work to de-dupe my iTunes library. (Dupin was a great help in this.) I was doing this to both free up space on my hard and have a nice clean library.

Unfortunately :( I have discovered that I have made a mistake in this process. Apparently some of the time when I chose to delete tracks from my library I did not choose to move them to the trash. I know this because I see the duplicates and albums that no longer show in my library, in the iTunes music folder on the hard drive.

My question is this:

Is there any way to get rid of the files on my hard drive that I have already removed from my library?

2. tennez macrumors regular

When you delete a song, itunes asks you if you want to keep the file or move it to the trash. To delete it just move it to the trash.

Good luck!

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

In Preferences - Advanced tab - change iTunes folder to new location and then consolidate library. It will create folders using the files remaining in your library then delete your old iTunes music and drag the new folder to your library.

4. doslobos thread starter macrumors newbie

worked

ntrigue - great suggestion, worked perfectly. 10 more GB free on my hard drive! :)

Thanks!