iTunes and iCloud for DROID

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Samuriajackon, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

if they make iCloud compatible with Windows and Windows iTunes then how far away am I from getting all this to work on my poor DROID?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Several lightyears. Steve specifically took a pot shot at Android and how Google couldn't do this as they don't have the complete vertical integration. There is no way Apple will give up a huge competitive advantage.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

The big feature of iCloud isn't just music streaming; it's the automatic syncing that every application can support. This means that if you have a game for your iPhone and you beat x levels; you can pick up your iPad and continue exactly where it left off -- seamless to the end user. This requires the application to support the API but there will be updates that issue this functionality in no time. Since the Droid doesn't have anything like this built into their OS, and I'm sure Apple has locked down the interface so that 3rd parties can't write to their servers, it isn't going to happen any time soon.

Having all your critical documents, settings, high-scores, bookmarks, contacts, etc out in the cloud is the wave of the future. One location to store everything for all of your machines and sync them together seamlessly. Imagine having your iPhone lost, broken or stolen, being able to talk into an Apple store, buy a new one, turn it on, download your apps again and then automatically have all of your information back on your phone. THAT is peace of mind.

4. Samuriajackon thread starter macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I wanna make an app records medical data and then sends it to your 'cloud' then have everyone in the same network domain, like , say WalterReed.net have data available for everyone with the same app on the domain. Update prescription doses, physical therapy schedules, mental health appointments, yada yada yada...so I understand that i"m not just asking about streaming media to iTunes...I guess I'll just have to go find a used Verizon iPhone for sale...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The odds are between slim and none, oh and slim left town :p

Seriously apple is not about to make syncing to android phones/devices easy or possible with their iCloud service

6. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Steve isn't going to give up a differentiating feature like iCloud, especially when it's being offered for free

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

That is a totally different Cloud type application. In this case, the data is shared with multiple users with different accounts. Thus to write this, you need to create your own cloud based solution.

8. cbo123 macrumors newbie

While dropbox and sugarsync are great, they aren't automatic like iCloud.

The best solution I've found for android is phoneklone.

It syncs photos, text messages, location and settings automatically and you can see it all on their website. They said their coming out with apps and videos soon, so I'd keep watching them.

My two cents.