iTunes and iPhone and Touch on 1 pc sync correctly?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ericinboston, Oct 9, 2010.

1. ericinboston macrumors 68000

I don't see a particular forum regarding iTunes so here goes.

I have 1 Windows XP pc with iTunes 9.x loaded. I have an iPod Classic, Nano (3rd gen), and iPhone 3GS. The other day I bought the latest Touch.

Problem: When I connect the iPhone and Touch now, iTunes is syncing the applications between the Touch and iPhone. I don't want that. I want whatever I downloaded/installed on my phone to stay there and whatever my wife downloads on her Touch (using my iTunes login account) to stay on her Touch. I know how to setup iTunes/the devices so they only sync the music/videos that I select...but I can't figure out how to do this with applications.

Is this possible? If so, can someone please be descriptive in the steps I need to take?

I do not believe it's possible to have multiple iTunes login accounts on 1 installation/pc of iTunes.

Thanks!

-Eric

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There is an "apps" tab (alongside the music, movies, tv shows, podcast and other such tabs) where you can check/uncheck which apps you want synced on each device. Newer versions of iTunes also have an "Automatically sync new apps" check box under the apps selection box. If you uncheck this box, newer apps not purchased on a device won't be synced to it, so it should prevent your wife's purchases from ending up on your device. If your iTunes doesn't show this option, you need to upgrade it to a more recent version. If you upgrade to iTunes 10, then the UI is now very grey. It's up to you whether you can stand the all drab UI, and whether the convenience is worth it.

3. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Well... It is, but it depends what you mean by that!

For example; I'm in the UK, so have an apple ID for this region. However, I also have a second account registered in the USA so I can download US stuff. It all appears in the same library, but if I want to download or update something, I am prompted to log in.

Ignoring all this: In your case, ideally you would set up the PC so you have different user accounts on there, each with it's own iTunes library. Solves all problems in one stroke! Alternatively, use the option of multiple iTunes libraries (but you will have to manually switch between them before sync)