Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaTeam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
I'm having space issues with my iCloud and it looks like I have a lot of pictures. I delete a bunch of videos and pictures and the size went down minimally. .1GB. I now have 120 photos on my Camera roll. All taken with my phone, so I know I don't have some super huge one in there somewhere. Both iTunes says I have 2.07 GB with 446 photos. My phone when I goto Manage Storage and look at the backup size of my items it says Photo Library is 1.9GB. How can that be? Where are the other 326 photos?

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Did you look in the "Recently Deleted" folder in Photos? (sort of like a Recycle Bin introduced in iOS 8) Those deleted items still count against your capacity, but you can delete them again to free up space.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Not sure why this is happening but I'm seeing a lot of posts like this. Normally you check the deleted folder first, but if that is not the issue then backup your iPhone, restore it, then load the backup (and all your media & apps). From what I've seen this clears out the photo issue. I'm not seeing this on my 6 plus, so I don't know what makes the problem show up for some but not all users.

ksstang

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
I'm dealing with is very same thing. I did a backup, reset and loaded my backup with no change at all.

CaptainStubing

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
Any solutions to this?

My girlfriend is experiencing the same problem. Have erased all photos and done a restore. Still says she has 3.8gb of photos.

suefracc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2015
Help! Same Issue Here!

Hi,

If anyone has an answer to this, I'd love to hear it!

I've only got 54 photos on iPhone, iTunes says 547! I emptied the deleted items folder but don't know what else to do. Hesitant to restore my phone because I dont' want to lose all my settings, and from the previous posts here, that doesn't seem to help anyway.

If I view my iphone's content using Windows Explorer, there are a bunch of folders there under Internal Storage | DCIM. Can those be deleted?

I only have 399 MB free on my phone and will be in big trouble soon!

Thanks for any advice!

Sukach

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Same problem here both both my wife and I iphone 5s. For example, her itunes says she has 19GB of photos but hey phone says she has 7.6GB

rukawa79

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
[solved]

Hi all,

I have found the solution to the problem.

Quoting the solution from txforever from Apple forum.

Im not sure why is this happening, but i just know how to get rid of the prob.

It has something to do with the Recently Deleted folder in the iPhone.

You need to change the date of the phone to earlier mayb a year earlier as in 2014.
Then go into your Photos>Recently Deleted folders to clear all the photo manually.

Note, when you go into photo, the Recently Folder might show 0, but if you go into it, there is actually photo in it.

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
When you connect your phone to your Mac, open up Image Capture. Delete the ones that you don't need. This will help. Remember that some of your photos are in Messenger too.

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks rukawa! Can't believe this is happening.

I'm guessing the problem is if you delete photos from your phone that are older than 30 days, using Image Capture for example, they remain in the "recently deleted" folder but are hidden because they are older than the 30 day window.

Now I'm wondering if there's a good way to avoid this happening in the future...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.