Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raquiros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to move all my media files to large external HDD, but I'm having some issues....

I copied all my music to the external HDD and deleted it from the internal one... but when I imported the music to iTunes from the HDD it created a new folder on my local HDD named iTunes Library and recopied all of my music.... is there a way to change the location of the iTunes folder to point the external HDD?

Same issue with iPhoto, can't change the iPhoto Library file location....

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
There's a preference in iTunes and in iPhoto to toggle this.
See attachment.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 90

raquiros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Thank you very much... I'll give it a shot and let you know if I have any questions... ;)

CSLEWIS-FAN

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
Is is possible to copy iphoto and itunes to an external drive

I am wondering if there is a way to copy my iphoto and my itunes library to an external drive. Here is my situation. I have a macbook pro and am running out of storage. I have a 500 GB external HD.
I was thinking I could just copy my iphoto and itunes to the external drive, and then delete the photos from the iphoto that is on my internal drive and the media from my internal itunes to free up space. And then anytime I had new photos or music to put on my computer I could just put them on the internal iphoto / itunes and then eventually move them to the external iphoto / itunes. Or would it just make sense for me to create another iphoto and itunes libraries on the external and then move the items from the internal HD to the External HD. I hope this makes sense. If anyone has any ideas for me, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
the easiest way to do that would be to drag each library (iTunes folder and iPhoto folder) onto the external HDD. Then you can delete them from the internal drive. Then, when you open either iTunes or iPhoto it will ask you to ok locate the library. But when you have new stuff to add, you would need to mount those external libraries. I do not know of an easy way to merge info from two libraries like you would need to do if you had two libraries for each, one internal and one external.
Hope that helps.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Follow the instructions in response #2. Then, when using either iPhoto or iTunes, make sure your external is connected and all new material will automatically go to the extrnal. If you manage to update iTunes without the external mounted, you can use the consolidate function again to put it right. Remember, though, that the new material will still be on your internal, so you would probably want to delete it from there. For merging iPhoto (in the event you make changes on the internal without the external being mounted) a program like iPhoto Library Manager will merge the two libraries. Good luck!

raquiros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
It works very well having the iTunes and iPhoto librarys in an external HDD.... saved me a lot of space in my MBP :)

CSLEWIS-FAN

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I will give that a shot and hope all goes well and there are no operator errors (haha). Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.