Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddeucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I have an IMAC running System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.7 (7S215)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.7.0 I am running ITUNES 4.7.1 with IPOD updater 3.0.5 with Version 2.2 software on the IPOD. I've added some new songs to ITUNES and they are playing fine, I dock the IPOD, them message appears updating IPOD, do not disconnect. I can see the message copying song such and such. However, the song ever transfers and the ipod icon in itunes is flashing red. this is the first attempt to update the ipod since going to 4.7.1. What am I missing. Is there a way to have ITUNES reset the preferences to the defaults? Dave

:confused:

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
When you look on the desktop is the iPod visible there?

If it is you have firewire disk use on. Select the iPod in iTunes and change its settings to disable this.

ddeucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Itunes and Ipod Flashing Red ICON

Wes, Thanks for the information. Yes, I an see the IPOD on the desk top. I checked my preferences and that option was not turned on for my IPOD.

Dave :confused:

ddeucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Still Confused

Hi Wes, Yes if I try and drag the unit to the trash Finder reminds me that the unit is in use. Itunes can see the IPOD, if I click on the IPOD under ITUNES, I can see the songs I have loaded to the IPOD. If I play the IPOD it works But as I watch ITUNES, it tell me it's coping song x to the IPOD, but the graphic bar that shows the copying progress never moves. It's as if it simply cant copy tothe unit. It's almost as if the read/write head on hte IPOD doesn't work. But the IPOD can play the songs stored on it. If that makes sense.

Dave

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
ddeucher said:
Hi Wes, Yes if I try and drag the unit to the trash Finder reminds me that the unit is in use. Itunes can see the IPOD, if I click on the IPOD under ITUNES, I can see the songs I have loaded to the IPOD. If I play the IPOD it works But as I watch ITUNES, it tell me it's coping song x to the IPOD, but the graphic bar that shows the copying progress never moves. It's as if it simply cant copy tothe unit. It's almost as if the read/write head on hte IPOD doesn't work. But the IPOD can play the songs stored on it. If that makes sense.

Dave

Interesting, have you tried just unplugging it, it's the only thing you can do at this stage I think.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I believe this is a classic locked up iPod problem. The way to fix this is to try a software reset of the iPod (instructions are on Apple's support page). If that doesn't work, use the iPod updater to restore the iPod to a fresh factory state, then try again. Keep in mind that the second thing I suggested will erase any other data you might have on the iPod.

ddeucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Greetings and my thanks to all that have answered. I have one of the older 30 gig IPOD's currently it shows 22.6 gig free. If I unplug the Ipod, ITUNES notices the unit is gone, complains a bit then continues on it's way. I did notice last night after playing around with the IPOD and my MAC a bit that when docked, ITUNES will attempt to update the IPOD, the HD on the IPOD spins up, but I hear what amounts to a clicking sound in the IPOD, almost as if the head is stuck, however since the unit plays the tunes ok, that seem a bit impossible to me unless there is a play head and a write head in the unit. I tried the software reset function and it didn't seem to help. I'll try the factory refresh function and see what occurrs. Since I got it the MAC and IPOD have been bullet proof, I'm hoping this trend continues.

Dave

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
If there is an Apple store near by, I would take it in. It might be a hardware part going bad and its warning you that its going. I know that the iPod blinks when its transfering songs. Do you have the auto fill my iPod with my music library checked? It might be reading you iPod and thinking its blank, then filling it with music everytime you plug it in.

ddeucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Still missing after all this time

Well, I used the factory refresh option on my IPOD, it worked as desired, refreshed everything. I tried to reload the IPOD and encountered the same failure, no song are loading to the IPOD. So, it off to the apple store on saturday. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Dave

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
You might trying restarting your computer. I had something similar happen once and that did the trick.

ddeucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Relief At Last

Well my IPOD problem appears to be solved. I took everyone's advice and finally took it to the Apple Store near my house. They tried the soft reset, the restore to factor setting and guess what it worked. I explained that tey did nothing that wasn't suggested and/or tried before. Finally talking to the Genius Help Desk person and once if the sales guys we concluded that the model IPOD I have has an issue with AIFF formant files. What seems to have happend Final Cut Express 2.0 prefers AIFF format files I putchased a couple of songs I needed for a project I was working on and converted toem to AIFF format in my ITUNES library. When the IPOD attempted to process them it went :eek: So, after removing the AIFF format files from ITUNES I was able to dock my IPOD and update it with out an issue. How :cool: is that. I'm really :) about it being fixed. Again my thanks to all of you that responded to me.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.