iTunes and iPod through Dropbox

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SL4VE, May 15, 2012.

1. SL4VE macrumors 6502

What I'm planning on doing is putting my iTunes library or some of it into Dropbox than linking it to iTunes. So when I sync to iPad I can access my music that's synced through the music app. BUT i don't want to store the music on my iPad but access it through Dropbox on the iPad. So it plays through the music app but finds the music through dropbox.

Is ts possible?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. SL4VE thread starter macrumors 6502

Because I fancy the challenge of doing it for free. Don't really trust the iTunes match thing either might ruin my library

4. QuarterSwede, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can try it and then if it works like crap use iTunes Match. Unlike some, mine (iTunes Match) works perfectly well. The only issue I have had is the album art not always uploaded (it's rare) but since my library is still stored locally that's a non issue.

5. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You mean in the same way it has (not) ruined millions of other iTunes Match users libraries? :D

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

Hosting it through Dropbox is a massively difficult way to do this. Honestly, use iTunes Match. If you're paranoid, backup your library first.

7. waynep macrumors 6502

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It won't work. Music files in Dropbox can be played within the Dropbox app, but there's no way to have them show up in the native Music app.

9. SL4VE thread starter macrumors 6502

You lot are boring. Just trying new ways to keep my storage free on my iPad. But yes I don't and didn't think it would work. But I'm sure theres got to be another way.