iTunes and mac won't recognize iPod nano...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jayson44, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Jayson44 macrumors newbie

so I just upgraded to Tiger so I can use my wife's new nano. but when I plug it in with the firewire, the computer doesn't see it. the nano charges just fine, but iTunes doesn't see it, nor does it show up on the desktop. is there something I missed? I've tried resetting the ipod, re-installing itunes, etc...any suggestions?

J.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The iPod nano does not support Firewire. You have to use the USB-to-dock cable that came with it.

EDIT: No iPod since the 4th gen "click-wheel" iPod or the iPod mini has supported Firewire. All iPod shuffles, nanos, and 5th generation "big" iPods on (including the iPod touch and iPhone) have been USB 2.0 only.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

You're using Firewire?

Is that correct?

That's the problem. Newer (5G onwards, I think) only sync over USB2.

4. Jayson44 thread starter macrumors newbie

why would apple supply me with a firewire cable if the nano doesn't work with it...it's what came with it...

J.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Apple supplied you with a USB cord, not a FireWire cord most likely. Unless, there was a package mixup. Firewire cords have a "Y" sign while the USB sign looks like a pitchfork.

6. Jayson44 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so I was using the firewire cord, but I guess my wife got that from her brother by accident and then gave it to me without telling me the other one was still in the package...problem solved! thanks for the help. I'd never have thought to ask if there was another cord!

J.