iTunes... and .mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotwaffle, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dotwaffle macrumors newbie

Now that Apple have given the opportunity to increase .mac to 30GB, I'm sorely tempted to move my iTunes library to .mac

Why?

• Means I don't have to synchronise both my macs all the time
    • Auto backs data up when I buy something (still needs offline backup too)
    • It's integrated into the system
    • I don't have to set-up a NAS, and can still access the music when on the road with the MBP

It just seems like a great deal... However, it's:

• £65/year
    • Only 30GB - fine for my 25GB at the moment, but what when iTunes video launches in the UK?
    • Fairly slow and clunky.

Anyone else had any thoughts on this?

2. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

interesting proposition… however i can think of a couple of possible drawbacks:

• what happens if you lose connectivity to the 'net?
    • if your solution to that is to use the iDisk syncing, surely that partially defeats the point as you'd end up storing the same amount of data locally (the local mirror of the iDisk that only gets changes synced to the online iDisk)

depends if you're doing it for backup purposes or for saving hard drive space.

3. dotwaffle thread starter macrumors newbie

It's iDisk - it'll sync when you get back, and if the two have conflicts, you just choose the *newer* version. As long as you haven't updated podcasts etc...
    Ah, well, that's where I've not explained myself - it's *not* to save space, it's to keep two libraries synced. Unless you know of a better way of keeping a laptop and a mac mini and a Windows PC in sync... Because when I was using rsync, I just kept forgetting to run the sync and ended up with lots of unsynced files etc...