iTunes and Multiple Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rocketdriver, Mar 18, 2011.

1. rocketdriver macrumors newbie

A question concerning iTunes and Full Screen mode with multiple displays...

I have my MacBook Pro (early 2008) pretty much permanently hooked up to my Sharp Aquos TV... I only disconnect it if I'm bringing it with me somewhere, which is rare.

When I'm working on my computer and listening to music, I think it's a nice effect to have the iTunes cover flow displaying full-screen on my TV... particularly since I have quite a few music videos and I like the idea of mixing them into my playlist... so my TV is always either displaying the album cover of the current song, or playing a music video.

Problem is, when I drag iTunes over to my TV and play full screen, the exact effect I want on my TV is there, but my MacBook display goes black and I can't use any of my other applications.

Is there a way to limit the full screen function on iTunes to my TV only without blacking out my computer display?

2. billtanderson macrumors newbie

To get around this problem I created a small simple Apple Script which opens iTunes starts playing music and shows the visualiser, it then moves the window to the second screen (my TV) and sizes the iTunes window so only the visualiser is visible.
    So I don't use full screen at all, the iTunes window is larger than the second screen, so only the bit I want is shown.

3. sliceofman macrumors newbie

The only thing i can think of is try using the Multiple desktop features of the Expose & Spaces app included in your System Preferences. But i'm not terribly sure if that'll work or not… but worth a shot i guess

4. rocketdriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I tried the visualizer thing before, the problem is when a music video plays, the visualizer does not return after it's finished.

As for Expose and Spaces, I can't see any way of making it work using those features. I have iTunes set to be in every space so no matter where I am on my computer it'll still stay on the TV screen, but when I full-screen it, it still makes my MacBook screen go black.

I guess there really isn't a way around this... hopefully this gets fixed in the next OS.