iTunes and NAS - best setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wannabeartist, Nov 14, 2010.

1. wannabeartist macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have two computers and a NAS drive and I'd like to setup the NAS drive to hold my music, so I can listen it from either computer.

Actually, I have already done this, but the problem is it shows up in the shared category as a simple drive and by default you get a huge list of songs when you click it - not very practical. I think you can't even create playlists or anything except listen.

Is there a way to make it show in the library instead, or how is this done?

Thanks!

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i probably would do this:

copy the entire iTunes folder (not just the iTunes music folder) to the NAS. on one computer after the other, launch iTunes while holding the option key (on a Mac). at the prompt, click on choose library and select the iTunes folder on the NAS.

only one machine at a time can access the library !

assuming you're on a Mac, i also would add the NAS to my login items via system preferences > accounts > login item to ensure the NAS is mounted on my desktop before iTunes is launched.

3. wannabeartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the idea!

I'll try it and post back how it turned out. Actually I have just Windows PCs at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it should work. I have the NAS drive mapped as a drive on both computers (reconnects at logon).

4. wannabeartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it works!

Thanks again for the tip. I haven't bought anything yet, but I guess it should go into the network drive from now on.

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant