iTunes and NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SoxFan894, Oct 12, 2011.

1. SoxFan894, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

SoxFan894 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

First I want to apologize for my post, I'm sure this has been answered once or twice before. But I am having no luck finding a clear answer.

I am a new Apple owner and have a iMac and Macbook Pro. When I came from my windows based machine I had all my music stored on the local machine and then synced through iTunes.

What I am looking to do now is store the music on a dedicated system (NAS preferred, since I have one available) and then stream the entire library to the other macs with out lag. When I attempted to do this on my Windows base machine I ran into a very large lag when playing the files from the NAS to iTunes. Having the ability to have one mac shut off, yet still be able to play music on the other is the key to making this run correctly, as well as through a airport device.

It seems that everything the Timecapsule offers will correct the lag issue and even give me more features than the NAS.

Can someone direct me or instruct me on the best way to get this to work? All the macs are on wifi.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

The quality of your wifi could be what's contributing to your "lag" issue.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What NAS are you using that you're incurring such lag times?

I have a Qnap and I see no such performance issues on any of my machines, both by way of wifi and ethernet.

Also what wifi are you running 802.11b/g/n?

4. SoxFan894 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running a DLink DNS 321 routed through a DLink DIR 655(GIGABIT). Running on a 802.11 N wifi.

***Just finished syncing files through the NAS through a ethernet connected machine. Went great...Still quit a bit of lag on the wifi machine.***

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

What transfer rate are you getting on your MBP? Hold down the Option key and click the wifi fan to see the transmit rate.

Have you tried connecting the MBP with an ethernet cable? This will isolate whether it's the connection or the machine.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

I never had any great success keeping my library on a NAS and the accessing it via WIFI.

Always slow, laggy and syncing took forever.

If you plug you PC into the router directly it will be fine.

I moved my library to my MBA's SSD and use it from there.

Also be careful sharing one library across multiple computers. If you mean by home sharing that is fine. If you intend to have all computers access the central itunes database it will not work well (and only one computer can access the library at a time).