iTunes and new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GregGebhardt, Apr 8, 2010.

1. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I have a had a iTunes account for a while that has been used with my iTouch. I recently even have used it to start up my iPad for downloading software.

Problem is I just replaced my PC with a iMac. Now I sign into iTunes and log on fine but when I plug either my iTouch or iPad in it warns me that this device was synced with another account and basically will erase my music if I force it to sync.

What is going on. I know I only have one account and I get this warning no matter if I plug the iTouch OR the iPad.:confused:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

This is expected behavior. Any iPod device, including the iPad, can only sync to one computer system. Unless you enable manually managing songs and videos in the Summary tab, you can only add music/movies from a single computer system. Ditto for apps, unless you download them directly to the mobile device.
    Things like Notes, Calendars, Contacts can be synced with different computers without fouling up this structure. If you have iTunes content on the iPad/iPod touch which isn't on the computer you can use the Transfer Purchases feature to pull them onto the new computer, but non-iTunes store purchases will need to be ripped using Senuti or something similar.