Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooncat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Hello, I have a couple of .ogg files which I wanted to play in itunes. I downloaded the quicktime plugin to give ogg support, and I put it in library/quicktime/ but my ogg files still won't play in itunes or quicktime...I read that you may need to rename the ogg files to .mov to play in itunes because ogg is not a valid file extention in itunes. Well, I tried that and it didn't help. My oggs play fine in mplayer, what am I doing wrong?

I am running a MDD dual 1.25 with 10.3
itunes version 4.1
quicktime 6.4

thanks

Cooncat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Sorry, but that program doesn't look like it would be very helpful. I already mentioned I have a Mplayer which plays ogg files, it's just that I have all the rest of my considerable music collection in itunes and it's just a pain to open up another program just to listen to a few songs.

I might just download that program if I feel like editing any waveforms or if I decide I need an oscilliscope, though...:confused:

Miki

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
I've had the same problem that Ogg files would not play even after installation of a plugin. Then I copied the plugin also in the <user>/library/quicktime and it worked! You'll have to reboot for OSX and iTunes to notice it.
iTunes would then accept Ogg files as any MP3 file - you could play it , change id tag etc. Quicktime won't play them so don't even try it.

BTW: I remember that there are two Ogg plugins for OSX. I don't remember which one did I use, but if your plugin does not work, just try the other one.

Cheers!

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I wish Apple would just go ahead and add support for Ogg in iTunes and the iPod.

Cooncat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Originally posted by yamabushi
I wish Apple would just go ahead and add support for Ogg in iTunes and the iPod.

My sentiments exactly.

Miki--I've tried both plugins, no luck with either. I didn't think to reboot, I'll try that and get back to you on it.

As far as I understood, quicktime player should play them with the plugin...I mean, it is a quicktime plugin after all!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by yamabushi
The open source community seems to have the Ogg plug-in for QuickTime well in hand. Why should Apple pay to do what others are willing to do for no charge?

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by MisterMe
The open source community seems to have the Ogg plug-in for QuickTime well in hand. Why should Apple pay to do what others are willing to do for no charge?

well, neither has been updated recently and under 6.4 and panther, both are really slow.

there are two available from different developers, this one was released a while ago and this one was updated more recently (although it's still pretty old).

both have worked equally well for me, aside from the aforementioned speed issue. i put the plug-in in my /Library/QuickTime folder and logged out/in and ogg files work in any quicktime aware app, including the finder preview and the qtplay commandline utility. the only missing feature i've found is that itunes will not apply the equalizer to ogg files, but other than that, they play just fine.

Cooncat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
ok, after a restart .ogg files work for me in itunes...but it really would be nice if itunes had .ogg support natively, seeing as although the files *play*, they don't work completely properly. As Fattymembrane points out, they are very slow, you can't use the EQ with them, artwork, etc. With ogg supposedly being liscence/royalty free, it couldn't cost apple much at all to incorporate support for ogg into itunes, right?

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Apple is currently backing AAC as the uber-music format. MP3 was the big thing that go music going. I still don't see ogg as being that prevalent. Apple is gonna stick by AAC.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by 7on
What about converting the oggs to m4a or mp3?

Then you apply one lossy compression scheme on top of another. Ruin your music.

As for Ogg support, Apple should bring it on board just to gain credibility with Linux geeks (as well as many Windows users). Open-Darwin led to greater respect from the ultra-geek community; this would spread it further. This is critical when luring customers who have traditionally seen the Mac as a toy. Besides, Apple is trying to sell iPods and a <b>large</b> part of the Linux community is being left out due to lack of Ogg.

Furthermore, Ogg is not the enemy. Ogg sounds great. WMA is the enemy. It sounds terrible. We need support for everything BUT that. Embrace niche formats to help prevent WMA from gaining ground. It's more widely accepted all the time, and this scares me.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.