iTunes and reinstalling Windows

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GigaG, Mar 25, 2012.

1. GigaG macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone, and I need to re-install Windows 7. How can I back up my iTunes library, and then import it back to iTunes. Then, I need to get the stuff from the phone back into iTunes without wiping the iPhone. Can anybody help me?

2. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

There is an iTunes folder in your my music. That is where the iTunes database and all your music is. Just copy it to an external.

3. GigaG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... what is the best solution for the iPhone's apps and everything else so they can be on both my PC and my phone, and I also want iTunes not to wipe my phone.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The above answer should do this for you. I assume you didn't change the default directories where iTunes saves your media. Just copy the entire install over.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Indeed.

The "iTunes" folder in:

C:\Users\YourName\My Music\

Should contain all of the content that is in your iTunes library.

To make iTunes move all of your library content to that folder (if it's not there already), go to:

File > Library > Organize Library

... tick the "Consolidate Library" box and click "Ok".

When you reinstall, just put that folder back in the same place (i.e. C:\Users\YourName\My Music\).

Before you format, you should also deauthorize the computer:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

See the "To deauthorize a computer" section.

6. kaielement macrumors 65816

Yes putting your music on an external is the best way to go. You should always have your music backed up an external drive just in case your computer crashes. As to your phone. Once you got iTunes back up just plug in your phone usb and it should back it up like normal and you shouldn't lose any thing. Oh and by the way make sure you are logged into the same iTunes account as your phone and everything else as stated above should work. Hope this helps.