iTunes and Safari Regularly Getting "Beachball"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Camoman12, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Camoman12 macrumors newbie

Hello, as of late, whenever I use iTunes it will randomly become unresponsive and show the famous "Spinning Beachball". This does not last long but happens often enough to be an annoyance. The same thing will happen in Safari when I try to play a video, while doing something else or downloading. It will try to continue playing the video and isn't responsive enough to let me pause it. This lasts up to a minute or two. Checking with Activity Monitor, my CPU is almost never in heavy use and I have more than enough free memory to do these simple tasks. I just bought this Mid 2011 27" iMac in September. I haven't found a solution by checking online myself, at least not one like this. Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help: iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists
    For Safari, try disabling all extensions you may have installed and see if the problem remains. If that clears it up, add the extensions back, one at a time, until you find the culprit. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.

3. Camoman12, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

Camoman12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt response, I'll try your suggestions

Update 1: So far everything is working well for iTunes, I'll update tomorrow after testing. For Safari however, I have no extensions, only Flash player which was installed from Adobe's website. Also I realized this may be in the wrong section.

Update 2: It turns I was automatically signed up for an html5 Youtube trial. If anyone else is experiencing videos not playing properly to youtube.com/html5 and click "leave trial"