iTunes and Time Capsule - music folder problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by monjones, Jul 14, 2008.

1. monjones macrumors member

Hello,

I am having a problem getting iTunes to consistently use the music folder that I have created on my Time Capsule. I set out below the steps I have taken (following the advice I've found on other posts and websites) and then I explain my problem. If anyone can help, that would be great.

1. I created an iTunes Music folder on the Time Capsule and copied all my music files (around 90gb worth) to that folder.

2. In iTunes preferences > Advanced I changed the music folder to the one on the Time Capsule (it then updated the library, which took a while). I left both "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" ticked.

3. I then clicked on Advanced > Consolidate Library (this took several minutes to complete).

4. I then deleted the iTunes music folder on my laptop's internal drive.

Everything then worked great. The music streamed wirelessly from the Time Capsule without any problems at all.

The problem:- Whenever I shut down iTunes and relaunch it, it seems to default back to an iTunes folder on the internal drive (which it recreated after I had deleted it), not the folder on the Time Capsule. It means I have to repeat step 2 above every time, which is annoying.

I'm not sure why it does this. I never unmount the Time Capsule disk (i.e. it's always visible under the Shared tab in Finder), so I assume it should be able to find that folder every time.

If anyone can help me make iTunes look to the Time Capsule folder every time I launch iTunes, that would be great.

Thanks!

(btw, I am using a late 2007 MacBook Pro with Leopard, fully updated, if that makes any difference).

2. harv3589 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem...is there a solution for this? Really annoying...

3. Dino1956 macrumors member

"Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" ticked."

I would uncheck both from the above statement.