iTunes and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by willorrock, Sep 5, 2008.

1. willorrock macrumors member

Hi

I have saved all my music to a folder on my Time Capsule. I have set the root music folder on iTunes to save new imports straight to the TC.
    However, now i need to reimport all the music (ensuring i dont re-save all the music to my MBP hard drive) so essentially i want to stream my music from my time capsule (securely and quickly) like you would an external hard drive.

The question is how do i do it??

Thanks

2. monjones macrumors member

when i did this, i had all my music on an external drive, then copied it over to the TC. when you change the location of folder in the itunes preferences make sure you point it to the "iTunes Music" folder, not a root folder higher up the chain. then, for me, itunes did something to update music folders, which took a couple of minutes. then it worked, with music streaming wirelessly without any problems. also try advanced > consolidate library if it doesn't work for you.

the only thing is that sometimes i need to point itunes back to the folder on the TC as it resets to the internal drive. don't know why it does that or how to make the change permanent. so double check this setting is right if you are having problems (and especially before you do consolidate library as it may try to copy everything back to your internal drive)