Itunes and you

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coochiekuta, Jul 27, 2011.

1. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

hello all

not so much an ipad question as it is an idevice problem.

i want to gift an idevice preloaded. that is to say, i want to hand over an idevice to someone and when she turns it on she finds it has all of her favorite artists on it already.

when she goes to sync it to her comp it will want to erase everything, i think at least. i dont remember if it keeps the old but prevents you from copying over old files into your library.

in any case, is it possible to gift an idevice preloaded and have the recipient be able to access the gift fully?

since apple forces itunes and their store down peoples throats i cannot believe they dont offer this.

i have been thinking about a workaround. i have thought about making her an itunes account, place the content and then give her the device with the password to the account. i think that would work in theory. that way she will be able to take the content off and back it up and even make a new itunes account and link everything to that.

or maybe that wont work?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the only way to do this would be to get on her computer and sync it there. But I'm assuming you're giving this as a gift in which case I'd reccomend you just give it to her in the unopened box instead of preloading it with media.

3. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I agree, give it to her unopened, maybe with an iTunes gift card, and help her set it up.

4. coochiekuta thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking it would be more personal to customize it to her interests. Just buying it and handing it over, I may as well just give cash.

I am trying to give a unique gift here. It is one idea. Thanks for the input.

5. vega07 macrumors 65816

Lucky girl.

Yes, this personalization is too messy. Ask to borrow her computer. Even better if it's a laptop. Then setup everything on that.

6. jbud72 macrumors member

This is a great gift idea. I say do what the poster above me said and borrow her computer and load the stuff on that way. I'm assuming it's someone you are close to (or else why buy them something like an iPad) so I wouldn't imagine that would be too difficult.

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I say go with free engraving and an iTunes card. That's about as personal as you're going to get without needing her machine.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you give cash ... she will spend it on shoes

try to sync it to an iTunes acct. for her

9. jbud72 macrumors member

truth

10. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Is there any reason you can't get her parents/friends/roommate/whatever to help you with access to her computer so you can sync it directly to her stuff?

I am, of course, assuming you are an actual friend and not a creepy stalker :)