iTunes- another compilation question: massive renaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nuks, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

I, like many others, sort my music by Artist. When I have a compilation album, I like to keep it all as one album in iTunes and especially on my iPod. Traditionally I would copy the artist name into the song name, so it was "Artist - Song" and then change the artist name to the name of the compilation. That way, on my Ipod, I would scroll through artists, get to the compilation and play it all from there, meaning I wouldn't have a whole load of new artists, each with one song.

However, I just got a 6 CD compilation album.. 150 or so tracks. I don't want to individually rename every song this time, but I want it all to be under one Artist in iTunes (preferably). Is there any way to maybe select all of them and switch the artist for the album artist? Or is there another way to do all this that would allow me to have it all appear as one artist, but not have to rename each track individually?

Thanks!

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

In iTunes, select all the tracks and then Get Info. Put the Artist name or Album Artist that you want in the appropriate field and it will change it for every track.

3. garretruh macrumors member

Re:

Select all of the tracks, then right click on them and select Get Info. Click yes and then, in the Info tab, check the "Artist" checkbox and fill in the name. Click "OK" and you should be good.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Applescript will do this.

I can understand why you're doing this, but the OC(D) in me would just go insane. Song name = song name!

Make a playlist with those songs and put the playlist name into below:

Code:
    tell application "System Events" to set openapps to (get name of every application process)
    if openapps contains "iTunes" then
    	tell application "iTunes"
    		set myplaylist to every file track of playlist "Voice Memos"

repeat with thesong in myplaylist
    			set theartist to artist of thesong
    			set thename to name of thesong
    			set artist of thesong to thename
    			set name of thesong to theartist
    		end repeat
    	end tell
    end if

5. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but then all my artists would be deleted? I would like to maintain all the artist's names, just relegated to a lower ranking than the compilation name (which would be the new artist), but I still want all the artists to be somewhere. That's why I usually rename every track with the artist's name

6. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Oh. I guess I misunderstood the question. Yeah, doing that would rename all the artists and consequently delete the ones that are there now.

7. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

No worries, I know it was pretty poorly worded and confusing!