iTunes app available over 3G after 2.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiceRacerDX, Jan 31, 2009.

1. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I updated my iPhone yesterday to OS 2.2.1 and played around with it to see if I could find some other updates/features that were not specified. I was on my way home and I wanted to see what new podcasts were available so I did a search...and it gave me a few songs for my results. Surprised and curious, I go to the top ten and every other category that I can and realize I can finally use the iTunes app over 3G. I was never able to do this with OS 2.2 (only with podcasts) and have always wondered why apple didn't make it happen sooner (especially since apps and podcasts were OTA enabled). Granted, it is a little bit slower than Wi-Fi (not by much) but that's to be expected. Can anyone else confirm this?

2. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

This feature has been available for almost a month now... It was announced at Macworld 2009 alongside the iTunes DRM-free announcement.

3. RiceRacerDX thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it was announced but it was never implemented...at least not for my iPhone. I tried it last week thinking I was still within Wi-Fi range of my house but it wouldn't let me. I figured they wouldn't implement it until 2.2.1 so I double checked it before I updated and it still wouldn't let me. Maybe it was a glitch with my iPhone?..I dunno.

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Weird. I actually tried within 15mins or so of the announcement at macworld, and it worked.

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Same here. Both iTunes and App Store download worked via 3G on Tuesday afternoon for me.

6. sallythemac Guest

Workked over GPRS, Edge and 3G moments after the macworld announcement a month ago.

7. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

mine's been working as well since the announcement a month ago.

8. Filmjunkie macrumors newbie

I too have been able to enter both the App and iTunes store using 3G and EDGE. Since the moment after the announcement. You're just late.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've been able to do this too, but one thing I did notice... I tried downloading an entire album over 3G and it said the file was too big for the cellular network. However, none of the individual songs were 10MB... why wouldn't it just download the songs individually. So what I did was... I found wifi for a second, just to get the download started... then I left that wifi network and the rest of the songs downloaded over 3G.

10. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

yah this has been working for a while for me as well and I have not updated.