iTunes App Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ralphalph, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

iTunes keeps a copy of all the apps I've downloaded on my iPhone. Seems pointless post iCloud. Is there a way to disable and erase these backups from iTunes, or any reason why I would want to continue to keep them?

2. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Faster restore if needed instead of downloading all the data again.

If you want to disable backups of the iPhone in itunes and instead want it to backup to iCloud there is an option on the summary screen when phone is connected to itunes. Also in your iCloud settings on your phone.

To remove old backups in itunes go to preferences and then there is a tab that shows your backups. You can delete them from there. (Not sure of which tab in there because I am not at home to see on my mac. )

3. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

Yeah, like the last person said it's faster to reinstall. Plus if you've got any large apps, remember that downloading them again will eat into your monthly allowance on your phone plan.

Also, some apps are pulled from the app store [for various reasons]. VLC player was pulled because of a rights dispute, so I doubt you can re-download it from the cloud, and NBA Elite '11 and a few other games were pulled [presumably] because their license expired [not sure if they are still in the cloud]. My advice would be that if you really do need to delete them from iTunes, back them up to an external first so that you can always re-install if you need to.

4. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

^ Also you have apps that get updated and ruin the whole app. With itunes controling it moves the older version to the trash and you can just replace it back into itunes and get the working version again.

5. Ralphalph thread starter macrumors member

Ralphalph

All good reasons, think I'll keep the backup. Thanks.