iTunes app release date confusion

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by brucerob, Aug 23, 2011.

1. brucerob macrumors newbie

I am about to release my first app and there seems to be confusion about the release date and iTunes ranking. I found this on a site for iOS developers:

Release date: This defaults to the current date, but you can set it to a date in the future if you like. When your app is approved, you'll want to log back into iTunes Connect and reset the release date to the approval date; that way the app will show up at the top of the new releases section of its category. If you fail to do this, then when your app gets approved it'll show up buried several pages down - not very desirable.

A developer I work with has said this is outdated information and you can change your release anytime after approval and that date will be the release date for the iTunes new apps ranking

Does anyone know the answer?

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I left it as the default, which ended up being about a week before Apple approved it. It showed up at the top of the New Releases for about 2 and a half days (which is typical for the crowded iPhone game market.)

3. brucerob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, but my situation is different. I want to launch 1 week after approval. On my launch date will my app show as a new release in the iTunes store on that day, or will Apple instead use my approval date from the week before as the "new release" date in the store?

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

When you submit the app it asks if after approval you want the app to go to iTunes immediately or wait. If you choose wait then you can release it when you want.

5. brucerob, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

brucerob thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know I can choose any release date.

So I want to launch 1 week after approval. I have been told you start by putting in a date 1 month away when you submit. Then when you get approved, you go back to your account and choose a date one week away (1 week after approval)

Now is the tricky part, here is the real question:

On my launch date will my app show as a new release in the iTunes store on that day, or will Apple instead use my approval date from the week before as the "new release" date in the store? It's all about making sure I get the exposure in the "New" section of the app category.

6. katzen macrumors newbie

Has this been resolved?

Brucerob... regarding your last thread:

"On my launch date will my app show as a new release in the iTunes store on that day, or will Apple instead use my approval date from the week before as the "new release" date in the store? It's all about making sure I get the exposure in the "New" section of the app category."

Did you find an answer to this question?? I ask because this is something I'm wondering about as well.

Thank you!

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apple hand-picks the apps it features in the "New" app category. In iTunes this is known as the "New and Noteworthy" section. Your app's release date has no effect on ending up in this section. Only Apple's interest will. If they want to feature you, you will be notified.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I thought he was referring to the recently released list. As in if you sort by release date (as it automatically does.)

Your release date is your release date. If your release date ends up being before apple approves it, they automatically move the release date to whenever they approve it.

9. katzen macrumors newbie

ArtOfWarfare:

Yes, I am referring to the 'recently released list'...

I understand what you mean when you say "Your release date is your release date. If your release date ends up being before apple approves it, they automatically move the release date to whenever they approve it."

Now my next question is, for example, I had an app approved by Apple on Dec. 12, but I set the date for this app to be available in iTunes for Dec. 21st. Now when I'm looking this app right now in iTunes, it's saying "Released Dec 13"...

Does this mean that people could buy it on Dec 13th?

Or was it just hanging out, somewhere in space, and didn't show up in iTunes stores until Dec 21st?

And if it was just 'hanging out in space' until Dec 21st waiting to show up in iTunes stores .. was it losing ranking since it was released on the 13th?

I hope this makes sense to you, or someone! Thank you in advance!

10. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

If you set the release date for Dec. 21st it should show up then (unless you changed the date while it was "In Review"). If you're not sure if it was released prematurely check to see if there were any sales in itunesconnect.

11. katzen macrumors newbie

Thanks nickculbertson...

What you wrote is what I originally thought too, but the last few apps I've put in the store seem to be releasing on the day they are approved by apple, and not on the date that I manually set for release. I'm just pretty confused by this... :confused:

Perhaps I'm missing something in the uploading process.. but not anything that I can figure out.