iTunes app stores question.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by byke, Jul 28, 2011.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

sorry if this question has been asked multiple times, I have searched but couldn't find any answers.

Like many people I have more than 1 apple computer.

1 old iMac (main computer with iTunes)
    1 mac mini (we use this for our tv as a streaming device only)
    1 MacBook air (spare laptop used by my eldest son .... Old office computer)

Now the more important issue ......
    We all really like to use our iOS devices.
    Myself and my wife both have iPhones and iPads .... And my son has an original old iPhone he likes to use for games etc.

Here is my question, I am not sure how I am supposed to setup all 5 iOS devices in terms of the app store. Obviously my wife has different app needs to myself and my son is too young to be able to have his own account. And since I generally pay for the family, can I set up all 5 iOS devices to the same app store account? Or will this cause a conflict?

Cheers

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You can add up to five devices with the same ID, so assuming you have 5 devices or less you can pay for an app once and you can all use it.

Anyone using the account needs the password to: download any apps (including free), download in app purchases, but most annoyingly to download updates. The lack of flexibility with free apps and updates is really the only limitation of this setup.

As for the distribution of computers, if you have each device synced with the same computer each time, under the user's OS X user profile then everything will be fine (the device uses the ID that their OS X user profile's iTunes uses).