Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
i have a problem that has never happened before and am lost before I call apple. Right now I can't download any updates on my mac (for apps). I click "check for updates" and it acts like it checks for a split second and then nothing (when i know there are updates as my phone shows 5 updates).

This all started happening when I borrowed a friend from works' apple TV 2 since he is going to be gone for a while. :D

I set it up just fine and i've been using it. Coincidental? maybe but so far i'm leaning as a possible itunes account problem.

If I update he apps on my iphone I occasionally get "unable to purchase". Anyone have a solution before I call apple?

WOnet

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Same here

I am running into the same issue here. Keep in mind, that "His" apps are under his iTunes account, so you won't be able to update those without his account info.

However, I am seeing the exact same issue in iTunes when I "check for updates" while on my mac. Nothing happens. But now I looked on my iPhone, and I have 11 that need to be updated. Judging my the dates, this has been an issue for me for 2-3 days now.

Anybody have any ideas?

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Same issue here. It's been like this for a few days now.

Podcasts update just fine, apps aren't, so it's unlikely to be a firewall issue.
Can't see any messages in the logs.

Restarting iTunes didn't help, nor did rebooting.

Pirated software is definitely NOT the issue.

Next step is to remove the plist files :(

Edit: Removing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist didn't help either.

Last edited:

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Still haven't fixed this issue.

As well as the actions I've taken above, I've cleared all the caches with Onyx. Reinstalled iTunes. Removed iTunes completely and then installed again.

No joy.

WOnet

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
I to have rebooted, etc. I was about to reinstall (and deal with those headaches), but after seeing that that didn't work, decided to not do that.

No cracked apps here.
iPhone isn't even jailbroken.
This is an iTunes issues on my Mac. I was able to update all 11 apps via wifi last night, then they were copied to my mac when I synced this morning.

For the people that are experiencing this, how many apps do you have? Wonder if iTunes just "gave up" on checking all the time. I have 368 apps in my iTunes (not all on my iPhone though).
WO

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Thanks for that information skiplo, I was about to remove one of the apps mentioned - "Pee Monkey Toilet Trainer", and to make it easier to find I put the Apps to display as a list. Before deleting however, I tried an update and it worked.

So the only change I made was to put the Apps into list view. Either that had some effect or the makers of the "Pee Monkey Toilet Trainer" App have fixed their App.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks for that information skiplo, I was about to remove one of the apps mentioned - "Pee Monkey Toilet Trainer", and to make it easier to find I put the Apps to display as a list. Before deleting however, I tried an update and it worked.

So the only change I made was to put the Apps into list view. Either that had some effect or the makers of the "Pee Monkey Toilet Trainer" App have fixed their App.

Mine mysteriously started working as well. I did nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.