Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
There's a silly MSNBC story at http://www.msnbc.com/news/909907.asp?0cv=TA01.

The author bashes the sound quality of AAC and claims he couldn't burn an audio CD. While I'm all for lowering costs I can live with 99 cents a tune and 9.99 for most albums.

Aside from the cost issue, the authors complaints are pure FUD. He claims he couldn't play and Audio CD burned on the mac anywhere else. Well, this is simply ridiculous. An audio CD is an audio CD no matther what format the Apple Music Store uses. He probably burned a Data/MP3 CD. It played in the mac so the idiot never knew what he did. (edit: reread the article, not sure if he's trying to play a DVD in a non-DVD player. Whatever his problem is, it sounds like "his" problem.)

As for the quality of AAC, it sounds as good if not better than 192k Mp3s for me. And that's on my iPod and on CDs in my car and on my home theatre. In addition, I'm getting more bass at less power (that's right no more weak bass complaints for my iPod) since AAC and iPod 1.3. Unfortunately I converted all my 192k mp3's and all my new rips have been in AAC so I don't know if it's AAC or iPod 1.3 responsible for the boost on the low end.

I should note, I've given away 3 pair of sony headphones because they couldn't do the job. The only earbuds that work for me are Shure's e2Cs. Prior to iPod 1.3 or AAC I had to turn the volume all the way up or use bass boost, now I only need to go 80%. You're simply not going to get the kind of bass we're looking for with cheap headphones. That includes the headphones that come with the iPod.

The blatant bufoonery of this article is astounding and it's a shame MSNBC doesn't have some type of quality control. It's just plain bullsh*t.

There is nothing negative about the Music Store or the iPod except for cost, the chrome case (shameful considering the price you pay), and the new design (this one's a matter of personal taste).

For the first time I think I might buy into some of the anti-ms conspiracy talk. MSNBC + Derogatory article re: iTunes & AAC + How much MS has to lose if AAC trumps WMA = Smells like steaming bullsh*t. This just ain't right. (edit: Microsoft is upgrading the Xbox to receive MP3s from a PC. What a shame if AAC were the format of choice going forward.)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
there are a bunch of stupid articles about how bad the service is right now. at the moment, anything The Register prints is flat out propaganda against it. They have said it was a dismal offering and would rather crucify ANYTHING with ANY sort of DRM than accept the fact that it is a great compromise. but you know what? the consumers love it. and thats all that counts.

gunb0y

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
its funny... i didn't see the "(MSNBC is a microsoft nbc joint venture)" tag anywhere in the article.

i can't believe they published this. its really depressing.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i wish apple would complain and make them retract this guy's review. it may be possible that his CD players he was trying to use don't support burned discs...i have seen some peoples' old car cd players that wouldn't play anything burned...now that i think of it, i had an old RCA stereo that wouldn't play anything burned either.

i think this is a lot of BS...people seem to do this a lot to apple.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
His iTunes preferences were set wrong. He burned a data CD or an MP3 CD. It's not Apple's fault that he doesn't know what he's doing. :rolleyes:

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by sparkleytone
there are a bunch of stupid articles about how bad the service is right now. at the moment, anything The Register prints is flat out propaganda against it. They have said it was a dismal offering and would rather crucify ANYTHING with ANY sort of DRM than accept the fact that it is a great compromise. but you know what? the consumers love it. and thats all that counts.

I'm pretty happy with the selection. There are many old R&B tunes I couldn't believe they had.

Janet Jackson is a glaring omission though. Wonder what's up with that.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-I knew the article was FUD before I even read it - I'm depressed to say.

As for his playback issues, he probably burned the disk at too fast a speed.

Whatever happened to journalistic integrity? Reminds me of the OU article last week.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by morlium
maybe he should stop downloading The Wallflowers ...

Good point. GIGO.

Having said that, I purchased some old Brook Benton from the 60's, clearly analog masters, but the sound was incredible. Thought I was in the studio.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
this guy is full of crap

"Any device that can play a DVD can play burned copies of Apple?s AAC-compressed songs."

that's not true for a start, not all DVD players will play burned cds, whatever they are made on.

bah, i'm not even gonna waste my time on him any more.

edit: additional: yeah i know, but he fails to point out that iTunes 4 is indeed FREE, an important omission. he does give the experience etc an A+

and then he slates the quality, while i've yet to figure this one out, Apple is not stupid. he's the one that's not all there I'm sure. and i'd like to know where he bought his gay cd for $12.

Akira

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2002
The Netherlands
I Don't get it!

How can a guy looking that joyful and happy write a not-very-nice article ?

:p

anyway, I'm using expensive sennheiser headphones, and AAC just sounds GREAT, so what he's saying that AAC only sounds good on small computer speakers is BULLSH*T.

And who cares that his The Wallflowers cd was only $2 more than downloaded from the iTunes Store on AAC? (Never heard of them, I think that explains the minor pricedifference ;) )

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
This guy is full of of crap!!! He needs a big BITCH SLAP!!!!! (Or two:D ) It isnt apple's fault he ( or she )(u never know) doesnt know how to burn a fuc*en cd. Good Grief. Ignorant people these days. I hope someone btichslaps him:mad: :mad:

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by Eniregnat
His article does echo many of the sentiments raised by some members of this board.

I'm sharing my purchased music for a while @ 68.102.169.55

pw: bullskip

I'd like anyone to stream it into and amp and tell me which one isn't Near CD Quality or better.

Bridge over trouble water by Aretha Franklin is from analog masters and I can hear the brushes hit the high hats. Put it to the real test, Etta James At Last.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by applemacdude
This guy is full of of crap!!! He needs a big BITCH SLAP!!!!! (Or two:D ) It isnt apple's fault he ( or she )(u never know) doesnt know how to burn a fuc*en cd. Good Grief. Ignorant people these days. I hope someone btichslaps him:mad: :mad:

If that picture on that article was a she, SHE needs to quit buying CDs and pay for some plastic surgery. :)

Regards,
Gus

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
The guy's neck is thicker than his head. I'm surprised he could even spell iTunes.. I'm sure it took a few days to type up that article, what with all them keys all over the place (there's no smiley with crossed-eyes..bummer.)

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the MS in MSNBC stand for *darth vader music* Microsoft? Could this editorial just be some small cheesy propoganda scheme of gates?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Raiden
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the MS in MSNBC stand for *darth vader music* Microsoft? Could this editorial just be some small cheesy propoganda scheme of gates?

it does, it does. Sometimes there is a bias, and this an example of it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MorganX
I'm sharing my purchased music for a while @ 68.102.169.55

pw: bullskip

I'd like anyone to stream it into and amp and tell me which one isn't Near CD Quality or better.

Bridge over trouble water by Aretha Franklin is from analog masters and I can hear the brushes hit the high hats. Put it to the real test, Etta James At Last.
if i remember reading right bought music from the music store cannot be streamed, although i can easily be wrong becuase i havent tried it, this is just what i think ir ead.

iJon

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
yeah, the article was pretty weak. but i'm sure the pc heads are saying the same things about the articles that praise the service. whatever. some critics hate apple. some love em. this guy is a hater. so be it. i hope the service succeeds...it wouldn't be the first time this week apple proved a journalist wrong.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by iJon
if i remember reading right bought music from the music store cannot be streamed, although i can easily be wrong becuase i havent tried it, this is just what i think ir ead.

iJon

The purchased music playlist is one of the lists in preferences. I had users connected all day and the purchased list is the only one I was sharing, so I'm assuming it works. I connected to my own share and it streamed fine.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MorganX
The purchased music playlist is one of the lists in preferences. I had users connected all day and the purchased list is the only one I was sharing, so I'm assuming it works. I connected to my own share and it streamed fine.
hmm, thats cool, i think i read this in someone doing an article on apple music store and talking about how people have already made programs to download peoples music.

iJon

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by iJon
hmm, thats cool, i think i read this in someone doing an article on apple music store and talking about how people have already made programs to download peoples music.

iJon

Yeah, I guess the iTunes sharing is just an HTTP server and you can stream to disk. I haven't looked into it much. I really would rather pay per track.

You can share purchased files, but I think that if you steal purchased files they're still protected and won't play for you from disk.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
This guy never reveals that crapdows lags behind in this arena...He never compares the quality issue between mp3 format and AAC...He only writes about his inabiltity to burn a cd and state that ALL burned cd play on DVDs. What a moron...How can someone not believe its one-sided; msnbc!!!
You know what, with this brilliant example of writing, I can't help but think this "journalist" has an offspring:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=25780&journalist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.