Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knersis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Sydney
Hi All,

I have a question around the sorting of movies in iTunes and is then displayed in the same order in AppleTV under Shared Movies.

I've changed the Movie view to list view, then I click on the Title to either order asc or desc order.

The problem I have is that the Titles aren't listed in alphabetical order. For example.

The order would be.

10000 BC
Vanilla Sky
Street Fighter
Knowing
KillBill 2
The Haunting in Connecticut
Dragoball Evolution
The Devil's Tomb
Aeon Flux

Now from my experience of sorting, this is definately not alphabetical.

Numbers first, then A -> Z

This flows through to my AppleTv, so if I have 200 movies in the library I can't be certain that Accepted is in the beginning of the list for example.

Any ideas.

Wayne

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
The example you have posted is alphabetical, in descending order. iTunes puts numerical named movies at the end and ignores first words like "The" - therefore your list is correct - descending.

If you click on the title bar they will obviously sort ascending, Aeon Flux first, The Devil's Tomb second with 10,000 BC last. If you want to force numercial movies to be at the top of your list when you are sorting ascending right click on the appropriate movie -> Get Info. Under the Sort tab and in the Sort Name field name the movie something like "A1", second numerical movie "A2" - this then should force your numerical movies to the top of the list whilst still keeping the original name.

If you want movies that have the first word "The" to be listed with movies that begin with T then in the same field as mentioned above (Sort Name) put the word "The" back in the name. You will see that iTunes has automatically stripped this word out in this field.

Mind you, i have seen the "Shared Movies" option on the Apple TV do some funny things in terms of sorting. The advice above should put the movies in your correct order in iTunes, and that certainly flows down to the "My Movies" section on the Apple TV - but the "Shared Movies" seems to do something different
Good Luck

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
This is definitely descending order. They go numbers, then Z-A, but "the" is not counted, so your list goes

V
S
K
K
H
D
D
A

Knersis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Sydney
Ahha, ok I get it.

As for the ATV, I seem to have noticed something that might be it. Maybe someone can check this on theres.

I added three new movies itunes, restarted iTunes, and went to look on the ATV, they were all listed at the bottom of the list of movies.

Now I'm not sure if its adding them to the bottom by default, all new movies get added to the bottom. Not sure.

Strange thing though, some of my movies are not showing up there artwork on the ATV, but they do have artwork loaded in iTunes. Something is fishy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.