iTunes Artwork Headache

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trumpeteer94, Sep 22, 2012.

1. trumpeteer94 macrumors newbie

For some time now, I have been having an issue where iTunes is not letting me permanently change the album artwork on a few of my songs. In other words, I would go to the info of the song and change the artwork, come back two minutes later and see that it had been changed back.
    Because I have iTunes match, I thought that might be the problem so I deleted my iTunes library and wiped iTunes match clean. That didn't solve the problem.
    My only other theory at this point is that the album artwork has been embedded into the actual mp3 file and I need to find a way to un-embed it.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or maybe how I could fix this? Thank you very much!

2. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Music brainz Picard. Will allow you to remove the embedded art, then use iTunes "get info" to add he higher rez or correct artwork. I do this so the artwork screen saver looks good on my :apple:TV.

3. oozeymc macrumors newbie

This is exactly what I have been after now for so long. Many of my album artworks are taken from Amazon etc and I assumed that when I clicked "get album artwork", Apple would do the hard work for me and find a hi res version of the album cover. It worked for probably only 10 or so albums, the rest were left as they were. So I then signed up to iTunes Match which I assumed would pluck the hi res art from the cloud after matching but this again hasn't worked and I still have the poor quality artwork in my iTunes.

I'm really hoping this Music Brainz Picard can do the trick because if not, I'm at a total loss as to how to get iTunes to update the artwork with their far higher res versions!

4. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I tried match, and found it lacking. I use amazon cloud player and find their matching to be superior. The problem with them is th mp3s are embedded with whatever the most recent version of the songs artwork is. So I have a FFDP album and two of the songs have art from the trespass America sampler. So I use music brainz Picard to re tag and re embed them.

5. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

I would suggest deleting the old artwork from a song as well as adding the new. In theory there would be no old artwork to change back to.

Get Info/Artwork/Delete. Works very well for me. Good luck!

6. longball5187, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

longball5187 macrumors newbie

Artwork Leaving

I recently purchased my first Mac and got all my music set up and synced my iPhone 4S. All artwork was present and accounted for. I come home today (computer hadn't been on since) and open iTunes to find some of the album artwork was gone. It is on my phone, just disappeared from iTunes. Does anyone know what is going on with this?? Also, some songs in some albums have artwork there. Some don't. I don't understand it. I've tried, a couple times, to have iTunes grab all artwork but it's not working.

Thank you.

7. oozeymc macrumors newbie

I think Apple really owe to iTunes users to give us some instruction here.

8. Spacecowboy1 macrumors member

Try "media rage" it's great for adding and removing album art and meta tagging.

9. xjryan macrumors newbie

fixed my album artwork problem

my album artwork wouldnt change on certain things but i discovered that the items that wouldn't change were ones from shows that i had in my purchased tab in the itunes store. once i hide those, in the purchased tab, it allowed me to use any artwork i wanted for any file. just thought i would throw it out there if someone was having a similar problem.

10. Soundflunky macrumors regular

I had the same problem with one specific album. It was a bootleg game soundtrack that I didn't like the art for, so I Google'd something better. Every time I applied the art, within minutes, it'd be back to the old one. I knew I was doing everything right and that the problem was probably Match. Eventually, I trashed the album entirely (then took it out of the trash and kept it safe), I updated iTunes Match so that it would hopefully forget this album ever existed, and then I re-added it to iTunes with Wifi turned off so that I'd have time to make sure the album art was what I wanted it to be before Match tried to update. Then I turned on Wifi, Match updated and the album retained the art I gave it.