iTunes, artwork & wav-files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jofima, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jofima macrumors member

According to this Apple-support page:
    That is, if you import wav-files to iTunes, the program doesn't allow you to add any artwork for it unless you convert the files to mp3 or AAC format.

It sounds awfully stupid to me, but perhaps there's a technical reason for it. Does anyone here know?

2. Simon Young macrumors member

When you add artwork manually it embeds the image in each individual sound file. MP3 and AAC files both allow for this, but WAV does not. Asking iTunes to find the artwork automatically might work, as that method stores the image in a cache folder instead of embedding it in the file. However I don't think iTunes will automatically find artwork for WAV files. Dunno, give it a shot!

3. jofima thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

There is no artwork for my wav-files on iTunes (or elsewhere) as they're self-recorded. I do have a tiff file with own-made artwork, though, and that's what I wanted to add. As for now, I converted the files in iTunes and added my artwork, but I also have to accept a lower bitrate now.

Still, intuitively there should be a way to simply associate a given image file with specific tracks in my iTunes library.

4. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley