iTunes artwork

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jakeblu, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Ok I have a problem I am unable to add any artwork to the movies I have loaded into itunes or change the artwork on those movies that have it. Its driving me crazy. I am running mavericks on a macbook air 11in and itunes 11.1.3. My itunes library is on a NAS server

Help please

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1409

Or use meta movie to add the metadata before importing to iTunes

3. Jakeblu thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for the link. I have no problems with the actual process of adding artwork or changing it I have done it plenty of times in the past. I just can't do it anymore. When I delete the current artwork it just reappears or if I replace it with anew image it just reverts back to the old one. It's driving me crazy:rolleyes:

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Try with Subler (or similar) directly on movie file, not in iTunes.
    PS what did change in your setup before the problem emerged?

5. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Can you change other metadata? If not could be a permissions/owner issue on the NAS.

Are you doing Drag/Drop for adding the artwork or doing the browse method?

6. Jakeblu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help everyone.

Well I went to look at the permissions on the NAS and it says

daapd read&write
    everyone no access

If I try and change these it tells me I do not have the necessary permissions.

Not really sure what has changed other than I have moved from a macbookpro to a macbook air. My itunes files were on the same NAS with the pro. I deleted the itunes folder from the NAS when I changed after moving out the media I had. I then set the itunes folder location in the air to the nas and copied all the media to itunes. Its been working fine with no problems, I am able to add and delete films/music but not the artwork. I still have the pro, well my partner does, but itunes is not setup on it.

7. philjo macrumors member

I have a similar problem - running itunes 11.1.3 on a Mac Mini (Lion)

I have imported some CDs into itunes but the artwork does not show. if I click on get album artwork I get a message saying the artwork cannot be found in the itunes store.
    However if I look in the itunes store I can find the same album available there with the same artwork picture displaying. I think there are about 20 albums that this applies to so I am getting an increasing list of albums wihtout any artwork.
    Any ideas of how to get it to download?
    Many thanks.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I'm not sure if this is the same problem but with the latest iTunes, I've found that I can add artwork via iTunes or Subler, but the artwork displayed in iTunes will always revert to the default artwork unless I go back to Subler and actually delete the unwanted artwork.
    In other words, I can add artwork, via iTunes, but I can not remove or change artwork via iTunes.
    I've tried time after time in iTunes and then later when I've opened the movie in Subler I've found the correct artwork embedded multiple times but the offending default artwork was still embedded there as well.

9. rayward macrumors 65832

Adding metadata in iTunes adds it only to the iTunes record, and not the file itself. I think you'll need to use Subler to strip the existing metadata from a copy of your media, add the metadata you prefer, delete the original from iTunes and re-load your correctly-tagged file.

I.e., take off and nuke your metadata from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Nope, you are mistaken.
    I can change the metadata in iTunes and then go read that metadata using any number of different media explorers.
    iTunes does indeed change the files themselves.

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's also too complicated. iTunes re-loads the metadata from file every time you Get Information (Cmd+I).