iTunes Authorization Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by msizzle64, Nov 4, 2008.

1. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

I got a replacement Unibody MacBook Pro today and when i finished restoring my system from time machine, iTunes had me authorize my computer. But iTunes authorized it as a different computer even though this is a replacement. Now i have one less authorization. Is there any way to fix this, and have iTunes give me that authorization back? do i have to call apple?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can have a total of 5 computers authorized at the same time. And once a year if you have all 5 authorized, you can de-authorize all by accessing your iTunes account info and clicking on the button to de-authorize. Any kind of emergency reset would be handled by the iTunes Store Support who can be contacted by email support @ www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/browser

3. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

thankyou!

4. mpshay macrumors 6502

Not that it will help this time, but in the future you can you itunes to deauthorize the individual computer. If had to get another replacement (lets hope not). Deauthorize the current one before sending it it back, selling it ,etc.

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

If needed, you can also deauthorize all five computers at once. Just navigate to your iTunes email address login, click. Then i think in Prefrences/Settings, you can delete all authorizations on any computer which you might have authorized in the past, to get your max 5 authorizations back.

You should also know that you can only do this once per year.

6. Bmode macrumors regular

Same thing just happened to me. My Seagate 1TB drive went down in flames yesterday, thank god for Time Machine, with the newly installed HD, I restored the backup, but iTunes won't let me authorize or de-authorize the computer.

I tried repairing the disk permission, no go. I can log in iTunes and see my account information it's all there. I also tried a download and it worked, but I can't play the just downloaded song?

Thanks for the post above and link, I sent them a notifications to my issues. Good luck all.

7. Oktober macrumors regular

Sorry to bring this thread back up to the top, but when I copied my iTunes library from my external hdd after reinstalling osx Tiger, I forgot to de-authorize itunes before doing do, so now I have 4 of 5 machines. Is there a way I can reset this back to 1? As I only have one machine.

8. Oktober macrumors regular

Just found this after a bit more searching :)

from here
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

9. kbuck1984 macrumors member

Not to beat a dead dog but. . . . Same problem.
    I have deleted itunes and reinstalled. No luck.
    I have tried to de-authorize it, won't let me gives me the same error.
    I have tried everything I can find online to solve it with no luck. I only have 3 out of 5 computers authorized. What's the deal?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What's the error?