iTunes Authorization

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kirk Boragine, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Kirk Boragine macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Figured I should make a new thread here. Started this discussion on the iTunes Version thread. Anyhow, I'm having an issue with authorizing music bought from iTunes Store on another computer. I reinstalled iTunes 4.7.1 from the Tiger DVD to my iBook G3 after removing all traces of iTunes except receipts. Note here for anybody doing this: iTunes Helper accessed via the User Accounts must be deleted before installing iTunes. Or else the installer fails.

Re installation did not change a thing. I am still getting a msg that the computer is not authorized since the song was purchased with a different (my iCloud account) account. The only option I have is to deauthorize the computer. There is no option to 'authorize computer' as in more current versions where one could have multiple accounts associated with a machine. So...I can only guess Apple has this computer hardware associated with the previous owner (in this case my sister). When I asked my sister for the information she had no idea. Said she never even used iTunes ;/ What to do next? Am I headed down the wrong track here? (Pun intended) ;)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2017 ---
    Maybe I need to delete that iTunes4.pkg receipt. Any harm in that?
    So I have 2 receipt .pkgs for iTunes. iTunes.pkg and iTunes4.pkg. The iTunes.pkg is the one that was originally installed, then reinstalled. Maybe the iTunes4.pkg receipt is causing the issue. According to this:
    http://geekyninja.com/archives/how-to-uninstall-mac-os-x-pkg-packages/
    the package contents need to be displayed, then deleted. It appears the two packages might be tied together, seeing as they share the same .app name. I will obliterate iTunes from the system install once more, then pick off the receipt files (if they still exist). Then delete the iTunes4.pkg file. Then reinstall iTunes from the Tiger DVD (again). Phew!
    Here's the .pkg contents.

Attached Files:

2. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

That doesn't make much sense. That's the app. I'm deleting the damn file, rebooting and seeing what happens. Then if I have to, nuking iTunes and reinstalling from DVD.

Here's the receipt contents...

Attached Files:

3. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine