iTunes authorizations?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bmode, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Bmode macrumors regular

So what do you do if your iTunes won't play back downloads from the iTunes store? My hard drive died, and I had to use Time Machine to back it up thank god for that, but now all my purchased music will not play back?

I sent a email to the support group and got an answer that was beyond stupid, they reset my authorizations to 0, and told me to re-authorize the computer, but I already told them it won't allow me to do that? What a dolt!

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Why won't it allow you to reauthorize your machine? Did it give you an error message?

3. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Eric, that's almost as bad as the Apple response...DUH! I DON'T KNOW WHY?

The error message is:

There was an error storing your authorization information on this computer.

The required directory was not found or has a permissions error. Correct this permissions problem and try again, or deauthorize this computer if the permissions cannot be changed.

I repaired the disk permissions already. So what now?

4. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Here's the brilliant response from Apple support:

Hi, my name is Dana and I am happy to assist you!

I understand that you have been unable to authorize your computer to play content from your iTunes account. I know that you are eager to once again be able to enjoy all that iTunes has to offer.
    I order to fix this problem I have deauthorized all computers associated with your iTunes Store account. You can now reauthorize the computer that you intend to use.

For specific instructions on how to authorize and deauthorize a computer to play your iTunes Store purchases, please read the following technical support article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

If you repair or upgrade certain components on your computer, one computer may use up multiple authorizations. If possible be sure to deauthorize your computer before you repair or upgrade it to avoid this. To learn more, read this technical support article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1206

Thank you for being a valued member of the iTunes family. I hope that you enjoy both your previous and future purchases. Feel free to reply to this email if you have any further questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Dana
    iTunes Store Customer Support

IF POSSIBLE, be sure to de-authorize your computer before you upgrade or repair. This statement pisses me off, what about if it crashes? Time Machine should have this covered, as I have it backed up there?

5. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Despite your odd first comment, the second was right on point. The shared folder is gone, but now replaced. Nice work sir, and I apologize for my sarcasm. I couldn't help it as it's a reflex response that I need to work on. :(

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

'Tis okay. My question was, admittedly, worded poorly.

Glad you got it working.

7. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Your a gentleman and a Mac scholar! It's no reason that we turn to the Forums first as most of us actually know more or understand the issues at hand? Most company personnel have an automated response which is not human and they usually miss the objective. "Think different" Apples says, I agree but not at the expense of the present. I'd change it to "Think Smart"... Thanks Eric.

8. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

ok all - hoping someone here can help me out.

I have just copied my entire iTunes folder from my MBP to my new Rev B MBA via an external hard drive.

I authorised the MBA before I copied them all over...
    but it won't play any of my protected music?!?!?!
    Plays purchased music - but I get an error saying
    "This compueter is not authorised to play [insert track name]"
    I enter my AppleID and password (again) and it says that this computer is already authorised - but it still won't play my protected music or TV shows?!?!!

HELP!
    I have only used 2 of the 5 authorisations.
    I have searched everywhere for solutions and nothing works.
    I've checked I have a /Users/Shared folder (from Apple support)
    I've deleted the SC Info (from Apple Support)
    I've tried repairing permissions (again from Apple support)
    I've tried de-authorising and re-authorising my MBA...

all to no avail?!?!

All my iTunes music, TV shows, playlists are on my MBA - it just won't play TV Shows or "protected" files!