iTunes auto meta tagging?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tech198, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

Do people prefer keeping the meta-data that may be in video files that iTunes automatically pick up on upon import ? eg (sorting name, and/or some wired filename), or do people prefer using applications like iDentify2 to remove such meta tags, then add to iTunes library ?

I have a bunch of names that change when i import them in iTunes, however i'm trying to decide weather it would be easier just using iDentify2 to stip out this meta dada, or just change it externally in itunes, and make sure i keep the xml file ...

What are peoples suggestions ?

2. Bear macrumors G3

I tend to let it use the metadata then correct it after import. If you strip the metadata, you would have to go back and add it anyway.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

But that's just it ......

If the filename is xxx on iTunes Media folder

but after you add it to iTunes, it changes to yyy.

Basically you'll need to change the name so its resembles that of the original file on HD.

Obviously iTunes picks up on this, and the "Sort" name field : for example Name is "The Village" and the sort name is "Village"

All of that i gather comes from the meta data in the file ....

so my question is, is it better to adjust this all after adding the files to library ( ..and making sure the iTunes library.xml doesn't get corrupted ? or use iDentify to strip this before adding it to iTunes in the first place, thus making it eayier since you won't need to edit anything since iTunes will/won't fill in unnecessary details?

I do have quite a few video files... just wondering which way is the easiest ?

4. Bear macrumors G3

If you strip out the the details you lose things like the year and other information about the files you import in to iTunes. I've never had a corrupted iTunes XML file and I have adjusted metadata alot, including on songs where there were errors in track names that I noticed well after the import.

And I don't care about the exact filename, I care about the name of the item showing up correctly in iTunes.

5. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

This...

That's my point,,, When i import the name doesn't show up correctly,,, Its a totally different name, I'm not sure where it comes from, probably the file's meta-data, but i've used Identify on the file and there is no trace of this different name, therefore iTunes must be changing it somehow.

While i could just manually edit this in iTunes, I probably would rather just import and be done, than to fix up what iTunes has broke.

Then again, it may be easier just manually doing it, as if its all part of the file then you run into trouble right ?