Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
Hi guys,

I've currently got iTunes duplicating and organizing any media I load into it into the iTunes folder under my user account on my iMac. However I'm fast running out of space on the iMac HD. What I want to do is still organize and back it up, but with music on the iMac itself and movies/TV shows to back up and organize to my external HD.

Is this possible?

Fail that, is it possible to only back up music and podcasts and not auto organize video which I will just do manually. I want to have the video loaded into iTunes for AppleTV and iPad streaming but it's killing the Mac HD.

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the tip.

Will this still auto organize my music though or will I need to place any new music into the iTunes folder myself? Right now I open an mp3 file from say my desktop, it then copies to the iTunes folder itself and I delete the original. Will I still be able to do this?
If you look at the link I posted, you'll see that method involves unchecking the boxes that enable iTunes to manage your files. iTunes will not manage file locations on two different drives automatically. However, it's a very simple process to drag music to your iTunes music folder, then use File > Add to Library to add that music to iTunes.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
If you look at the link I posted, you'll see that method involves unchecking the boxes that enable iTunes to manage your files. iTunes will not manage file locations on two different drives automatically. However, it's a very simple process to drag music to your iTunes music folder, then use File > Add to Library to add that music to iTunes.

I did look at the link and did know of the method you posted already but as the thread subject states I was more so asking about the auto organisation feature.

Never mind, I've just done the tried and true method similar to yours. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.