iTunes Automatic Duplication

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mufufu, Jul 3, 2009.

1. mufufu macrumors member

I use iTunes 8.1.1.

When i drag music files to iTunes library, iTunes will automatically duplicate the files, so I will have two files for each song i drag to the library. I have to delete each duplicate afterwards.

What's wrong? and how to end this trouble?

2. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I have had this same problem with certain albums and I can not for the life of me figure it out. I'm really no help but would love to know the answer to this.

3. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

Open iTunes preferences and uncheck the box "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".

4. Wakakanada macrumors regular

Any easy way to delete the original???

:confused:
    Okay, I understand that one can easily NOT make a duplicate copy in iTunes, but wouldn't it be better to NOT retain the original in its original location? What is the advantage in having it in two places?

Isn't it better to have it in iTunes to avoid the broken link problem when the original moves? Is there any way to automatically delete the original upon import? My hard drive is almost full and I am trying to eliminate Apple's strange preference to duplicate files.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You might want to check to see if the meta data is different per track? IE you could have some misspellings or capital letter in the name that isn't in the others.... or you could be missing data altogether.

ID3v1
    ID3v2

Just a thought. Especially if you went through and did a lot of hand coding.