iTunes: automatically group single files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Veil, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Veil macrumors member

Hi thar,

I'm usings these options in iTunes:
    - Advanced -> Keep iTunes Music folder organized
    - Advanced -> copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library
    - General -> Group compilations when browsing

This way all my albums are nicely organized when I goto Library > Music.

The problem is that when I doubleclick a random mp3 that isn't part of an album, or isn't tagged properly, it's added to the iTunes library in some 'unknown album' directory and shows up between my organized albums.

I'd like to know if there's a way to automatically group all single files that aren't part of an album together in an 'unsorted' folder, or something like that. I can import single files, and organize them together. But this won't work if I play some random file or stream.

Is this possible, or should I use another player for non-albums to keep my iTunes library clean and organized?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Personally I use macamp for those cases when I don't want the songs added to my library. It's why I miss winamp from Windows, the only app I've missed so far.

3. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

myself for the moments i just want to listen to stuff in my library i use Cog,
    great little app.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I know what you mean. I tag my full albums under Grouping as Full Albums. And then setup smart playlists to include all songs in these groupings. Then I play music from just this playlist and shuffle by album. Single songs or non-album songs go in another playlist that have no Grouping tag.

Do you really want to use another program to play your non-album songs? Thats not a very elegant solution IMO.
    For anything not tagged right I have a playlist that moves all files that need tagging. Its all about smartplaylists! I rarely play from my Music>Library cause I also have the unchecked songs absent from my playlists (except for the unchecked playlist of course).