iTunes Back Up on a New Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LouieSamman, Oct 19, 2010.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

So iTunes backs everything up from your iPhone that way if you want to do a restore and get everything back such as things done in apps that don't save to the cloud.

Problem I'm finding is what if I get a new computer and sell the old computer that has iTunes with the back ups of my device?

If I were to plug my iPhone to the new computer and iTunes pop up, would it take everything from the iPhone and put it on iTunes AND THEN do a backup?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Why wouldn't you be copying all of your old iTunes information/files already onto your new computer via a backup hard drive? Are you just planning on throwing out all of your old data and starting new?

The iPhone is not designed to transfer files from one computer to another. It can perform this task, in jailbroken form, but it's not designed to work this way.

3. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

But if I were to copy the applications to a USB hard drive would it retain all the information such as games with levels I've beaten?

I have my music saved on iDisk so I can just have iDisk sync on the new computer and get all my music back to copy and paste but what about the apps which is what I am worried about.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The apps themselves are in the iTunes Library ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications the settings are on your phone.

A user on the Windows On Mac forum found where the backups were stored and was able to move them from a PC to a Mac along with their entire library. Follow their approach when moving from one machine to another.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1019928

And please: wipe any data and apps from your old computer before you sell it. We live in a day of identity theft.

B

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

A full backup would certainly retain all of your preferences and levels and the like. Since you host your iTunes info from elsewhere, I would assume ALL iTunes data is there, Apps included. When you go into iTunes now, can you see your Apps? If so, they must be stored somewhere...and that is likely in your Library which is on your iDisk?

Another issue you are going to have, IF you don't do a backup of your previous computer, is that all of your playlists and ratings and the like in iTunes will be lost in this transfer.

I am not sure why you are skipping over what is essentially the one thing that someone does when he or she gets a new computer. Assuming they will both be Macs, migration assistant will walk you through it without even needing a backup (you hook the two computers together and one essentially acts as a hard drive essnetially).

I HIGHLY recommend backing up however.