:::iTunes Back up question::::

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BrettFarve04, Dec 28, 2008.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I've had really bad experiences trying to back up my music. I just want to make copies of all my music and put them on an external harddrive...and keep the files on my macbookpro so I can listen to them at my pleasure. I wanna have a backup of everything just incase something happens...i can just put it back on my harddrive.

Any help?!

thanx all

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner, I use both.

3. quotemeas macrumors regular

On a Mac, and assuming you keep the default iTunes setting to move and organize your music library in one location; just navigate to User/Music/iTunes and copy this folder to you external hard drive. If you have MobileMe, checkout a free program Apple put on you iDisk called Backup 3. You can set this program to automatically backup you itunes library to the external drive at a predetermined schedule. If you using Leopard, I highly suggest using Time Machine as that will do a complete backup of your system (or User folder is you need to save space on the external hard drive). This includes all you music, movies, app settings, preferences, etc.

4. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Here's another vote for Time Machine. I think it's just about the easiest way to do it. Time Machine will take care of not only your music backups, but anything else on your system too (pictures, videos, documents, anything). You'll sleep like a baby knowing that all of your data is safely backed up on an external drive... :cool:

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Plus, it's a snap to restore from a TM backup.

6. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

The external I have is being used other macs and other PC's :)confused:) I tried to do the time machine..but the external drive needs to be formatted before it can do anything...and I can't format the disc cause other peoples stuff is on it.

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Externals are very cheap now and, well worth the investment.

8. quotemeas macrumors regular

Try this Ext. HDD: Link
    You can backup your entire computer and keep it in your pocket or in a backpack.

9. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have an external harddrive....it's 500GB

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I have 3 passports. 1. I use daily, 2. on-site backup, 3. safely tucked away in a safe deposit box.

You sound like you're saying, " I already have one, why should I get another?"

To that, I say, "How important is your iTunes library?"

Mine is definitely worth more than $400.

11. quotemeas macrumors regular

I understand that, but you stated that you could not format your existing hard drive since other ppl are using it. I suggested this dive as a cheap alternative that would allow you to backup you machine without other ppl's data being on the drive. It has other benefits like being able to take it with you when you travel and what not.