iPhone XS Max iTunes Back-up when acquiring a new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Apr 19, 2019.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Guys, I have a question on iTunes "Back Up" when acquiring a new iPhone.

So my mom has her 6 Plus backed-up to my MBA. She now has an XS Max. I am taking over her 6 Plus and will be performing a factory restore.

Question: In the future, when I perform a backup of any files, photos, apps etc. of her XS Max to the iTunes which has the 6 Plus backup on my MBA, will iTunes create a separate backup (apart from the 6 Plus) of the XS Max? Or will iTunes merge everything together; in other words, will the XS Max back up be combined with the 6 Plus backup?

Does this make sense? Thanks.

2. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Each device will create a different back up in iTunes

you can check this out in the iTunes preferences

For example I have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads and each device has its own back ups in iTunes

3. pika2000 macrumors 601

It will be a new separate backup. Every time you restore a backup to a phone, even if it’s the same phone, iTunes will treat it as a new separate device, and thus a new backup file. The old one will remain though just in case. Once you see everything is okay and do a new backup, I would go back and delete the old backup.

4. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Can I RESTORE A BACK-UP (off of the 6 Plus) to the XS MAX.

Say for example, XS MAX, Brand new out of box, can I sync XS MAX to iTunes to my MBA, and restore backup from 6 Plus?

I realize there's an easier process to duplicate everything that was on 6 Plus to XS Max on initial setup, but I was wondering had I erased everything on the 6 Plus, would I then be able to restore everything that was on the 6 Plus onto the XS Max if I went to iTunes and did a "Restore from Backup"? Would the backup of the 6 Plus sync with the XS Max?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2019 ---

5. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

yes as long as the back up it still on iTunes you can set up the new phone from the back up on iTunes

See this link for more info and several options for setting up a new phone - including from iTunes

6. pika2000 macrumors 601

Let see if I get this right.
    1. Currently there’s a 6 Plus backed up to iTunes.
    2. You bought an XS Max.
    3. Yes, you can restore the 6 Plus backup to the XS Max. After this point, iTunes will create a new backup for your XS Max. Meanwhile, the old 6 Plus backup will be intact and is still used for your old 6 Plus.
    4. If you mean you want both phones to be the same with each other going forward, this is not possible. There are still two device, with each own backup.
    5. However, things synced through the same iCloud account will be the same. For example, I have an iPad Pro and an iPhone. Both have different settings, apps, icon arrangement, iTunes backup, etc. But since I use iCloud for my photos, I’ll be looking at the exact same photo library on both my iPhone and my iPad. Messages are also synced since I enabled iCloud messages.

Hope that’s make sense. :)

7. ET iPhone Home, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019

ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks. This was very helpful.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2019 ---
    Yes, this made sense. Just to clarify your #4 response. I'll be taking over the 6 Plus, so once I do a factory restore, I won't be using the 6 Plus to restore anything from the iTunes account I created for my mother on my MBA which has a separate log-in (to my MBA) altogether. I was only wondering if I plugged (USB) the XS Max to her iTunes (on my MBA), if the most recent 6 Plus backup would even recognize the (new phone) XS Max as being a new replacement phone so that If and when I do a future backup of the XS Max, would any new files, photos etc. from the new phone (XS Max) be ADDED to that 6 Plus backup, which you answered as, yes it would.

My apologies if my question was too wordy.

Thanks for responding. I wanted to first ask my question to make sure before I wipe out the 6 Plus clean (factory restore).

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

This is true to an extreme extent. I've had four iPhone 5's (5 not 5s and each one to replace the last) and every time iTunes has backed it up as a separate phone, because technically it is.

9. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

Don't forget you also get 5 gigs free of iCloud storage which might help.

10. pika2000 macrumors 601

Via iTunes, no it won't. They will be 2 different set of backups. So they will be separate, ie. whatever you do on the XS Max will not be transferred back to the 6 Plus since each phone will be using its own backup file.

Via iCloud, yes, as long as both phones use the same iCloud account. That's the purpose of iCloud, having the "cloud" as the main repository. Note that for apps to be in sync, the app has to utilize iCloud as well.

11. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Hey thanks. I didn't know all this.

12. pika2000 macrumors 601

Just to clarify about iCloud, I'm not talking about the backups. Backing up via iCloud will still consider those to be two separate devices. What I meant was things that are synced via iCloud like contacts, photos, etc. If both devices use the same iCloud account, they will see the same iCloud synced data. But each device will have their own backups. Hope that's not confusing.

13. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.