itunes - back ups - icons on the desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crewmeal, Sep 17, 2010.

1. crewmeal macrumors newbie

Having just migrated from windows I'm still trying to get my head around downloading music movies etc from my back up discs I made from itunes. I've reinstalled itunes on my new MBP and afterwards it puts a blue movie and music folder on the desktop. I'm not sure what to do with these as they must contain the actual music and movies. before I deleted these folders and found that when I tried to access the music a window couldn't locate it. So I did a 2nd back up.

I also use firefox as my preferred browser, and that dumps a blue disc on the desktop. What's going wrong and how can I stop downloads dumping icons on the desktop. I searched forums and can't find any useful info

Thanks

Chris

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

When you download most programs for a mac, they come as .dmg files. Those are disc image files, which need to be mounted in order to be used, the icons you are seeing are the disc images.

Once you're done installing whichever program it is, you can simply eject or drag to the trash all of those icons without issue.

There is no way around this that I know of, it's honestly not that irritating IMO.