itunes backed up my fresh 8.1 install over my previous backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jblu07, Nov 9, 2014.

1. jblu07 macrumors newbie

itunes backed up my fresh 8.1 install over my previous backup:
    so now when i try to restore from backup it just restores a blank iPhone
    is there a way to manually select the back up from 20 minutes earlier?

2. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Plug into iTunes and use the back up drop down menu. It should give you a list of your previous back ups. Choose the one you want.

3. jblu07 thread starter macrumors newbie

ts not showing the backup file that i did before restoring, the only backup file its showing is the most recent which is after the restore.
    though i have backed up several other devices on this machine and it show me their backups as options as well, maybe it doesn't show the individual backups for the iPhone cause the list is cluttered with all the other devices?

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Sounds like your only hope would be a Time Machine backup that took place between your initial iPhone backup and the 8.1 empty backup.

5. jblu07 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i solved it.
    with ibackupbot i was able to see that i had tons of backups from different devices and it showed the backup that i did prior to the restore... now there was a whole nightmare in between involving a 24 hour bootloop but in the end i used ibackupbot to delete the other backups off my comp (old iPhones and iPads and other peoples as well) and once i did that it gave me the option to select which backup of the same phone in iTunes... so theres the solution if anyway1 is looking

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I've had this happen before as well. Now I copy the backup I want to save onto another hard drive to keep it safe until I don't need it.