itunes backup is done when setting up new device

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by itai, Dec 20, 2011.

1. itai macrumors member

I am having this problem: my iphone 4 is getting super slow, so i figured i'd erase it and start a fresh install (installing everything from scratch basically). Before doing so, I backed it up, just in case i would want to go back, however, when i first connected it to itunes after erasing it, i selected the option to set it up as a new device, giving it (naively i guess) a different name from the old backup. Now, it looks like my old backup was completely deleted, and overridden by the new one. I am so frustrated about that and was wondering if someone had a rescue plan (though i doubt it - under the mobilesync folder this backup no longer exists).

A big prize to whomever comes up with a creative solution that will enable me to recover all my SMSs/Photos/recent calls, etc.

Thanks!

2. roblawton macrumors 6502

Hmmm... If it isn't in the MobileSync/Backup folder in your Library Folder, I think it may have gone...

The only thing I could recommend is if you've got a backup on iCloud before you restored your iPhone.

You can then restore from iCloud and backup to iTunes again... Hopefully saving your SMS and other data!