itunes: Backup multiple libraries

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tech198, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G5

Hi all.

I have multiple libraries in ITunes and have a few questions regarding changing between and backing them up:

1. Regardless of the number of libraries you have. in the given library, the "Itunes media location" in Preferences >> Advanced does not reflect to the current library open, even though the correct shows are listed. Changing this to the correct one (the one your viewing at the time) mucks it up and you can no longer open it.

Shouldn't the Itunes media location show the current Itunes library ?

2. Viewing Music folder in Finder reveals not just your itunes folder, but a default Itunes folder. Whats the purpose of this default folder if the xml files are in their own respective folders?

And lastly, how do you backup multiple libraries? do all these folders need to be backed up in this case?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One question to ask is why do you have multiple libraries? While you certainly can, many times people have the wrong reasons for doing so. As for backing up, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner or Time Machine to backup your entire drive, which would include all iTunes libraries. There's no need to back them up individually.

3. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

that's interesting, when I change libraries at startup using the option key, my media directory changes to reflect that. Could you try changing at startup to see if that helps? Also how you backup depends in your file organization, but as long as you have a copy of every song you should be good

4. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

WHile i understand TM or CCC would do, i don't need to backup the entire drive, just move the libraries to an external drive with more space.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you elect not to backup your whole drive, you can selectively backup files/folders with both CCC and TM. However, if you're talking about moving, not backing up, your libraries, that is simple to do, as well.

Tunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder