iTunes: Backup to HD?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Is there a way to back up my entire iTunes library to another HD without having to manually move the files?

I see there is a backup to CD/DVD but I would be sat all night burning disks. Seems a bit strange that the CD/DVD option is there but not a HD option. I tried exporting the library but that only produced a small .xml file which obviously only contains playlist info etc not the actual music.

Info would be appreciated.

Ta Lar

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
stuartluff said:
Is there a way to back up my entire iTunes library to another HD without having to manually move the files?
So I know it'd be nice if iTunes could do this for you... but why not do a select all in iTunes and drag the files to your external hard drive? Or just copy over your music folder?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
NorCalLights said:
So I know it'd be nice if iTunes could do this for you... but why not do a select all in iTunes and drag the files to your external hard drive? Or just copy over your music folder?
I cant do a select all because IT7 haas separate library sections now and I have movies as well as music. So it would be too messy!

If i transfer the whole folder (which I didnt even think of doing :p ) will it keep my playlists etc if and when I restore?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
stuartluff said:
I cant do a select all because IT7 haas separate library sections now and I have movies as well as music. So it would be too messy!

If i transfer the whole folder (which I didnt even think of doing :p ) will it keep my playlists etc if and when I restore?
I moved the whole folder back and forth and it worked fine.