iTunes backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macs4u, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Macs4u macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a 27" imac and only have a few songs in my itunes. I only have this computer actiuvated and authorised , so 1 out of 5. I want to reformat the computer to factory as ive installed so much software to trial and i want a fresh clean slate to work with. How do i backup the few songs i have purchased as i dont want to pay for them again. I have an iphone 4 that i want to reformat too.

Is the best way to reformat the iphone but dont sync it , then wipe the computer and put the backup back on the mac so the songs are back in itunes , and then sync my iphone 4 so they are back on there too?

Matt

2. Macs4u thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,
    Also i forgot to add , in the event of my mac crashing and i lost all my music stored on the mac but it was on my iphone , how would i get it to my mac again? Would it just be a case of fixing the mac , reinstalling itunes and then synching my iphone to it? WOuld it matter where i bought my songs from? ie some werre bought through my iphone and some off the mac?

Matt

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

So it sounds like you should do this:

1. Get an external hard drive. Drag and drop your iTunes folder (inside your user/music/ folder) to the external hard drive.

2. Perform an erase & install from your original discs. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910

3. Re-import your music after your user account is all set up.

4. Use Time Machine to start backing up your computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sync your iPhone, Restore your iPhone in iTunes, Choose Setup as New Device, then re-sync content to phone.