iTunes backup???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mech63s, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Mech63s macrumors member

Ok I had to reformat the ole hard drive on the PC. I backed up iTunes. I had to reinstall iTunes. Now when I connect my iPhone and iPad I don't see any of my apps and it tells me I will lose everything on my devices if I sync them. Anyone have any guidance? Is there a folder I can transfer from my backup to fix this?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And did you transfer over the media folders and the library XML files so your new install had all the data from the old install?

3. Mech63s thread starter macrumors member

4. Mech63s thread starter macrumors member

I guess I didn't after a quick look. Nothing I can do now I guess. Unless I can do it through icloud.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

How did you backup iTunes? You may be able to use some of the instructions on the link above to move the library files and folders from your backup to your new installation.

6. Mech63s thread starter macrumors member

I did some clicking and dragging to the new external hard drive. I should have looked at aplenty.com first to make sure I did it correctly. My hard drive had a partition, could the folder I needed have been on the c drive that I formatted? The iTunes program was on d drive.

7. Mech63s thread starter macrumors member

Ok I found my media file which is in the back up. I tried the instructions on apple.com but I can't seem to figure it out. Any one have any ideas?

8. Mech63s thread starter macrumors member

9. Mech63s thread starter macrumors member

Ok ok I am at ease now. I figured out how to download the Apps that I have previously purchased. My music is fine, I wasn't worried about the music, just the apps. I'm good now. I will follow the directions on how to backup iTunes next time for sure! This was giving me a headache!

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

For future reference, if you are worried about the apps only, you can always download them again for free. You can even go into the appstore on your iphone and go to updates and on top click on the purchased and download the ones you want again (it will list all your purchased ones since you got your first iphone).

But, you won't be able to get the app data back (so any game saves you have will not be gotten back that way).

11. Mech63s thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I figured it all out earlier. Now Im installing ios5 on my wife's 3GS.