iTunes Beachballing constantly...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macrlz9, Feb 13, 2008.

1. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I didn't quite find any issues the same as mine when searching.... Lately, the past couple months, while using iTunes (not necessarily playing anything, just simply browsing around), I will get a beachball for about 30 seconds. It will go away for about a minute tops, then come back for about 30 seconds. This behavior is consistent. This is all on my 2.1ghz iMac G5. I have tried repairing permissions still no luck. I didn't have time to worry about it, but now I just got a 2ghz MacBook & transferred my iTunes folder over & it does the SAME thing on this computer too. On the MacBook, I trashed the iTunes Library file & then imported the .xml to rebuild the library file, but still no luck.... I'm not sure what else I can do. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. cvahl macrumors member

I deleted all the videos I had in my iTunes library, that fixed the problem. Still hope that Apple fixes the issue soon, so that I can reimport them

3. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I think I'm going to try removing all mpegs and see if that helps... It sucks though that it worked fine for so long but now freezes! They need a patch.

4. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Ok, i tried removing all .mpg files only & left all the .m4v and other video files. That worked great & iTunes is responsive again so I have narrowed down the problem.... The weird thing is iTunes worked just fine with these same files forever until now... Anyone else experiencing this problem? Better yet, have a fix? (other than re encoding all my files to .m4v) I may wait to see if the next iTunes update fixes it...

5. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

ok well the new iTunes update didn't help this problem.... anyone have a possible solution? I've been trying to convert all of my .mpegs to .mp4's since the day i made the original post & i still am not done!

6. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I had the iTunes beachballs with 7.6 on 1.5GHz G4 powerbooks until I applied the 7.6.1 update. That seemed to snap my machines out of it. Of course I don't know WHY...

7. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

yay! it appears to have helped! Apparently I jumped the gun to blame iTunes again... maybe it needed a reboot after the iTunes update, but I am beachball free! I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone else mention this issue....