Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Hi, I have recently moved my iTunes library off of my main machine, a 3.06 24 inch iMac, and onto my server, a HP MediaSmart ex495. Ever since then iTunes has been beachballing constantly, even doing simple things like scrolling or selecting an album, it is all around slow, I have everything route with cat6 cables so the throughput should be good enough, I am able to playback 1080p MKVs through Plex but iTunes beachballs, I really don't understand it. Anyone else run into this specific problem and have any fixes?

The Sheck

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Cottage Grove
Hi, I have recently moved my iTunes library off of my main machine, a 3.06 24 inch iMac, and onto my server, a HP MediaSmart ex495. Ever since then iTunes has been beachballing constantly, even doing simple things like scrolling or selecting an album, it is all around slow, I have everything route with cat6 cables so the throughput should be good enough, I am able to playback 1080p MKVs through Plex but iTunes beachballs, I really don't understand it. Anyone else run into this specific problem and have any fixes?

I'm not familiar with cat6 cables. I assume those aren't the typical Firewire or USB ones. It probably has something to do with that, because when I connect stuff through the aforementioned Firewire/USB to an external drive through itunes, I don't have any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.